“From Book Idea to the Bookshelf: The Process and Business of Publishing”
This is a joint meeting with Charlotte Writers’ Club!
Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 7 p.m.
Queens University Sports and Conference Center
2229 Tyvola Road, just west of Park Road
Our panel of experienced book industry representatives, many from our own WNBA ranks, will discuss how a book goes from the idea stage to the finished book for sale to the reading public. Come with your questions about the book biz and join in this sure-to-be-lively discussion!
- Agent Josh Adams, Adams Literary;
- Independent Editor Betsy Thorpe, Betsy Thorpe Literary Services;
- Kelly Bowen, Publicity Director, Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill;
- Amanda Phillips, MarComm Manager at distributor/wholesaler Baker & Taylor;
- Independent Bookseller Sally Brewster, owner of Park Road Books in Charlotte;
- Lisa Williams Kline, Author the middle-grade novels Eleanor Hill (winner of the North Carolina Juvenile Literature Award), The Princesses of Atlantis, Write Before Your Eyes, and the Sisters in All Seasons series;
- and Independent Book Marketing, Sales and Promotion Consultant Susan Walker.
- Please note: Sales rep Frazer Dobson will be unable to join us after all, but Sally Brewster, who also has worked as as a sales rep for a major publishing company, will discuss the Sales/Marketing side of the publishing process.
In addition, at this meeting we will announce the start of an exciting benefit for current dues-paid WNBA-Charlotte and Charlotte Writers’ Club members! These members will be able to enter our raffle for free literary services, compliments of WNBA members. Please click here for further details and updates, including how to enter the raffle.
Carin Siegfried, Carin Siegfried Editorial – 10 page critique
Betsy Thorpe, Betsy Thorpe Literary Services – 10 page critique or query critique
Quinlan Lee, Adams Literary – query critique
Linda Vigen Phillips, author – 5 page poem or book-in-verse critique
Emily Smith Pearce, author — 10 page critique or book club visit
Lisa Williams Kline, author – 10 page critique
1) Winners must be active members of WNBA and/or CWC.
2) Prizes must be claimed within 60 calendar days from the drawing date.
3) WNBA and/or CWC are not responsible for the services provided.
4) No monetary compensation provided in lieu of services.